Model routes

HOMEModel routes › Strolling through historical places on the Mino Route

Model route by theme

Strolling through historical places on the Mino Route

From Kiyosu-goshi to an associated location of Princess Goh
Let's walk from Nagoya Castle along the route of "Kiyosu-goshi" a historical event of 400 years ago. On the route, you can learn the history of Mino Road, visit a beer factory and walk around Kiyosu area.

地図 Toyota Commemorative Museum of Industry and Technology Noritake Craft Center
A route to stroll historical sites on Mino Road
1 Stone walls of Nagoya Castle

The construction of stone walls at the castle was completed in as little as 4 months, as feudal lords competed with each other in its construction. The stones were collected from the local Owari, Mikawa, Mino clan areas, plus all the way from the Kii and Harima clan areas. Each clan collected as many stones as possible that were suitable for transportation, engraved markings on each, and managed them for quality control and repair works. Today, you can still see the engraved markings on the stones. On the north side of Ninomaru Garden, you can see the shields with holes for firing guns to protect the castle. A unique method called "Nanban-tataki" is applied, and the shields are made from "Tataki," a mixture of decomposed granite soil, hydrated lime, and water.

2 NHK monument

Nagoya Broadcasting Station (Incorporated Association) began the first radio broadcasting in the Tokai region in July 1925, and the first TV broadcasting in October 1954 after completion of Nagoya TV Tower in June 1954. The tower was used to send transmissions until July 2011. Today, there is an increasing demand to use the tower as a symbol of sightseeing in Nagoya.

3 Site of Meitetsu Seto Line Horikawa Station

Setoden (present Meitetsu Seto Line) was constructed in the later Meiji era, with support from the third Kato Mokuzaemon and others, in order to transfer ceramics and necessary materials for making ceramics produced in the Seto area. Horikawa Station was built in 1911 to connect the railway transportation and river traffic on the Horikawa River, but it was abolished in 1976 when Setoden was connected to Sakae-machi.

4&5 Shikemichi Road & Endoji Shopping Street

Shikemichi Road
Areas along the Horikawa River flourished since the river was used to transport rice, salt, miso paste, and charcoal from Atsuta-minato to castle towns. After a massive fire in the Genroku era in 1700 that burned down numerous tradesmen's house, temples and shrines, the back road of merchants' houses was expanded by 4 kens (7 meters). This is why the road was named "Shikemichi" (4-ken road).

Endoji Shopping Street
It is the oldest shopping street in Nagoya and was organized when Nagoya Castle was built. Its name comes from Endoji Temple, which was built in 1654. It exhibits a statue of Hariti (Kishibojin) made from leftover timber materials used to build the castle.

6 Nishibiwajima Tonya Memorial Museum (Former Yamada Residence)

Tonya Museum, originally built in Hashizumecho, some 500 m east from Mino Road, was dismantled by the end of 1989 and transferred to its current location. The main building that stands in the south was built in the early Meiji era, but it preserves the atmosphere of a vegetable warehouse which had been operated since Edo period. A detached building in the north was built right after the Noubi Earthquake in 1891.

7 Amecha-an

There once was a store selling inexpensive sweets and toys for children on Mino Road called "Amechacha." Amecha-an here was named after Amechacha, and it recreates the stone walls of the Shonaigawa River bank and houses in the Showa era. It also sells sweets and snacks.

8 Kirin Beer Park [Reservation needed]

In the factory of Kirin Beer Park is a bronze-colored kettle called "Shikomi-gama," which is designated as an industrial heritage. As many as 2,000,000 people have visited the factory since it opened in 1997. Here you can learn the process of beer manufacturing and also enjoy an exhibition using state-of-the-art computer graphics with a 600-inch superwide screen employing AR (augmented reality) technology. You can enjoy beer tasting too.

Mino Road

Mino Road runs for a total of 58 km, connecting Miyashuku (Atsuta, Miyano-watashi) and Taruijuku on Nakasendo Road. From Miyashuku, there are seven inns including Nagoya, Kiyosu, Inaba (Inazawa City), Hagiwara (Ichinomiya City), Okoshi (Ichinomiya City), Sunomata (Ogaki City), Ogaki, and four crossings including the Kisogawa River, Sakaigawa River, Nagaragawa River and Ibigawa River. Using this route, people could avoid passing chokepoints on the Tokaido Road such as Hichiri-no-watashi (4 hours to cross at that time) and Suzuka-touge, so the route was often used by processions of feudal lords, Korean envoys and Ryukyu envoys.

Kiyosu-goshi

Kiyosu became the center of the Owari area after Oda Toshisada relocated his residence in 1478. It was a starting place of Oda Nobunaga's battles in ruling the country, since Nobunaga made it his home from 1555 to 1563 when he relocated to Komaki Castle. Following the construction of Nagoya Castle and surrounding castle towns by Tokugawa Ieyasu in 1610, people in Kiyosu together transferred buildings and even the names of about 50 towns and bridges. This massive-scale relocation of a city is called Kiyosu-goshi.

Toyota Commemorative Museum of Industry and Technology

Presentation of industrial/technological transition in the textile machinery and automotive industries

Toyota Commemorative Museum of Industry and Technology

Access:From Nagoya Station (platform 1) to Sako Station on the Meitetsu Line (approx. 3 mins, 160 yen), approx. 3-minute walk from Sako Station OR From Nagoya Station to Kamejima Station on the Subway Higashiyama Line – Takabata direction (approx. 3 mins, 200 yen), an approx. 10-minute walk from Kamejima Station

Noritake Craft Center

Exhibiting the ceramic manufacturing process and vintage Noritake products

Noritake Craft Center

Access:Approx. 15-minute walk from Nagoya Station OR from Nagoya Station to Kamejima Station on the Subway Higashiyama Line – Takahata direction (approx. 3 mins, 200 yen), an approx. 5-minute walk from Kamejima Station

* The information on this website is as of June 2012. Please contact each facility for detailed information.